Friday, August 21, 2009

I wish I had written this poem! I am reading a book called Awakening the Heart: Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School and this poem is featured. I just loved the picture that it painted in my mind, especially now that school is back in session and I am reminiscing about the summer. The poet is Debra Chandra. I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to share it. It's not a tanka because of the syllables, but I love the way she did it. Breaking the line after summer and before breath almost makes it feel like catching your breath. I love it!!!

Suspense
Wide-eyed
the sunflowers
stare and catch their summer
breath, while I pause, holding basket
and shears.
-Debra Chandra

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin...I finally made it here after catching up with everyone :) Enjoyed browsing your blog.
    Have to agree this is a beautiful poem and gives one that aha! moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...glad you stopped by! I know what you mean...I love poems that do that for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! lovely one....and thanks for posting it Kristin :)

    I know nothing of form and syllables, and i don't even think about where I give a break or not....its just like as it comes...and to the extent I am never confident of calling them poems....use the word when there's no other choice....its all about an expression of feeling or thought, to me :)

    wishes,
    devika

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right it is so beautiful...ps let me know if you need a photo of sunflowers if ever you want to match something to this beautiful poem, for the students of course ;) lol

    ReplyDelete